La Nariz

We woke up early today, took our clothing down that we had hung up the night before, and got ourselves ready for the hike today. We got out the front door a little after 8 and headed to a little coffee shop. We wanted to eat some breakfast, but we would have never had time, so we opted for a box of cornflakes which we ate right outside our hotel room. After we had satisfied our appetite with the coffee and cornflakes, we ran down to the docks where we were greeted by Manuel our guide for the day.

We had our introductions and were off. We walked a path from San

Spare parts for TukTuks

Pedro to a small quiet town called San Juan. It was a pleasant walk, and we got a chance to get to know our guide a little more. I actually really like taking tours here as they really help me with my conversational Spanish plus we get a perspective of the area from someone who actually lives here. We walked through the small town and stopped at a small market where I picked up some chips for the road (I had bought some banana bread and cashews earlier). However, what we really should have brought on that hike was extra water. The sun here is very deceiving. It’s not that hot and therefore you tend to put your guard down and not think about it. About a quarter into our hike, Manuel started opening up a lot and we started having a conversation about our personal lives. Alisa and I shared some of our experience in the U.S. and he shared his in Guatemala. He told us a really sad story about how he was electrocuted while doing construction work about five years ago. His family didn’t have enough money to pay for the operation so they had to either sell their land or have both his hands amputated (which would have been a lot cheaper). Today he only works as a guide and really likes his job.

As we walked we found
avocados on the ground.

The hike was brutal. It was about 80% up hill. Alisa and I have done some pretty challenging hikes, but the sun was an obstacle that was a little to much for me. I had to just drink and drink. When we finally made it to the top I checked our water level, and we only had about half a liter or 17 or 18 ounces of water left for the both of us. Alisa looked just fine to me, but I was really feeling it. We stopped at the top of the nose for about 20 minutes where we looked around and took a couple of pictures. The hike back wouldn’t have been too bad had we not run out of water pretty early on the hike back. Although Miguel said he was thirsty as well, it looked like it was just any another day for him. As we continued our descent, we were walking at a faster speed. Alisa found a plant that is normally tiny in the U.S. however here it huge. I still don’t know the name of the plant, but I’m sure if Alisa’s mom is reading this she will recognize it in the picture right away. We got down to the town and we heard music in the distance. Manuel told us that every time someone in the pueblo dies they play this music. It was a little eery walking through the town while the music was playing.

At the top and almost out of water
They give demonstrations on how they
make their wares. 

Finally, we had made it back to town and to the store, where I took the opportunity to buy two bottled waters and two Gatorades. Let’s just say we finished them pretty quick. We told manuel that we wanted to find a woman’s coop that was there in the pueblo because on our tour a few days ago, Alisa saw a couple of things that she really wanted to pick up as gifts for her family. He walked us around for a bit to a coop store, but it wasn’t the one we were looking for. We were at a loss. We didn’t remember the name and the town we were in was an artisan town, so there are Coops like this on nearly every corner. As we were walking down the street, Manuel stopped a man that was walking with his son, and the man recognized us immediently. He’s a tuktuk driver and was there when we took the tour a few days ago. He gave us directions to the store where Alisa was able to get her gifts for her family.

We moved on toward San Pablo. It was a pretty difficult walk. I was ready to be off this road and on my hammock at my hotel. Alisa mentioned that she wanted pizza as we were descending so we decided on that. When we approached our hotel, it was time to part ways with our guide. We said our goodbyes, and Alisa and I were both really sad that we most likely never see him again.

We ended up jumping in the lake before dinner. To get through the lake, we had to walk through a restaurant and onto the docks. It was kind of odd doing that as the lady had menus ready for us. We played in the water for a little while but by that time, it was already getting cold. The water was really refreshing and just what we needed. We went back to the little Mediterranean restaurant that we liked and ordered pizza. I almost fell asleep before the food came, and Alisa took that opportunity to take a few pictures of me. When the lady dropped of the pizza she gave us hot sauce, ketchup, and mayonnaise. I thought it was kind of odd, but I tried my pizza with the mayo and hot sauce, and It was actually pretty good.

It’s only 6:52 right now, and we are going to call it a night. There is some kind of techno party going on a few blocks away where a lot of untanned people are attempting to dance. There is also a concert tonight at the place that usually makes a lot of noise. It should be interesting.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s